Wednesday, June 01, 2005

what music now: coldplay's "X & Y"

It doesn't matter how many times I listen to this, whether it's the bootleg live versions of some of their new CD's songs, or songs from the actual studio CD, I continue to be impressed by the artistry exhibited in some of the tracks. "White Shadows" must be one of the best songs they've written (although it's a bit reminiscent of U2's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Let some of the lyrics do the talking:

When I was a young boy
I tried to listen
and I wanna feel like that
little white shadows
that sparkle and glisten
I'm part of a system plan

Do you ever feel like
there's something missing?
things you'll never understand
little white shadows that blink in the distance
part of a system plan

When all our fears are waking up
all the space they're taking up
I said I cannot hear you, you're breaking up


Or how about "What If":

What if I got it wrong
And no poem or song
Could put right what I got wrong
Or make you feel I belong
What if you should decide
That you don't want me there by your side
That you don't want me there in your life


Then there's "Talk" with that somewhat familiar opening guitar riff. Alright, so the opening does sound like Kraftwerk's "Computer Love", but the song is strong:

Under the great North star
Try to work out where you are
In the silence of the sea
I don't know where I'll be

In the future, in the past
Going nowhere... much too fast
When I go there, go with me
When I go there, go with me


Although the version of "Talk" I'm currently listening has different lyrics:

So you take a picture
of something you see
In your future
Where will I be?

So you don't know were you're going and you wanna talk
You feel like you're going where you've been before
Let's talk
Let's talk


Let's wait for the official CD to come out. In the meantime, enjoy the bits and pieces.

Love, Peace and Understanding

No comments: