Saturday, November 19, 2005

Jem in Boston...

Jem came to Boston on Wednesday November 9 for a show at the famed Paradise Club. In case you don't know who she is, Jem comes from Wales, is very talented and her debut CD, Finally Woken shows that this singer/songwritter is more than another Dido or Beth Orton. Instead, her songs are combinations of sizzling electric guitars, trip hop reggae and heartfelt ballads that stir the soul.



At her live show, the last in the U.S. this year, even though evidently tired from the tour, Jem brought her songs to life to the delight of the audience. Some of best songs were "24", "Come on Closer", "Save Me", "Wish I", "Missing You", a tribute to a dead friend,

...All the wonderful memories
just make me fall apart
And it feels like somebody's
stabbed me in my heart
...
I wish this could be
a happy song
But my happiness disappeared
the moment you were gone

a rousing rendition of "Sweet Home Alabama" during the band intro, and my personal favourite, "Falling for You", a song about the heartaches associated with allowing oneself to fall in love, the subsequent and almost always guaranteed breakups, and the inevitable unwillingness to wanting to fall in love again:

...It's true I've become a skeptic
How many couples really love
Just wish I had a crystal ball
To show me, if it's worth it all

Coz I can feel it, baby
I feel like I'm falling for you
But I'm scared to, let go
I'm scared coz my heart has been hurt so
...
And I've got to be sure
Coz it's been so long
And I cannot take the pain again
If it all goes wrong



Love, Peace and Understanding...

No comments: