Thursday, October 13, 2005

what music now (fall edition)?

In these early days of autumn the following CDs keep spinning away at home and car:


  1. Metric - Live It Out
    This a transitional work for a Emily Haines' band as they shift away from synthesizer-based indie-pop (Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?), to guitar-rocking indie rock. Emily Haines has also been part of another great Canadian collective, Broken Social Scene

  2. Elbow - Leaders of the Free World
    Very emotional and personal work for Elbow and not as rocky as previous releases (Cast of Thousands). I can't get that feeling that Guy Garvey comes off a little like Peter Gabriel. There are some great lyrics in here such as The Stops ("I'll miss you the way you miss the sea"), The Everthere ("If I loose a sequin here and there/ More salt than pepper in my hair/ Can I rely on you/ When all the songs are through/ To be for me the everthere"), or My Very Best ("And would you tell her/ Not to talk as if I died/ Though a tiny part just did"). Beautifully poetic.

  3. Keep In Time: A Live Recording. Funky music from Ninja Tunes label to keep those dreary New England days warm. Think of P-Funk and George Clinton.


More later (Depeche Mode, etc.)

No comments: