Sunday, June 19, 2005

what music now: The National - "Alligator"

This is the third release by The National a NYC-based quintet. Not having heard a great deal from their previous releases, this is definitely an impressive CD. One critic has said that even thought they are in essence a New York band, they don't sound like their contemporaries (Interpol, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for example). However, they do owe some of their sound to such 70's New York seminal bands as Television, Lou Reed and Velvet Underground. But, that doesn't mean they are copying someone else's style. On the contrary, this is highly accessible and energetic American rock music, with thoughtful, poetic, lyrics and a slightly alt-country sound. Often compared to Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen, although Joy Division's Ian Curtis is closer, Matt Berninger sings songs of lost love, heartbreak and remorse("You should've looked after her better/You should've looked after her more/You should've locked the door").

I find it hard to mention any bad ones, so standout cuts include "Looking For Astronauts", "Daughters of the Soho Riots" (How can anybody know/how they got to be this way/You must have known I'd do this someday/Break my arms around the one I love/And be forgiven by the time my lover comes/Break my arms around my love), and "Baby, We'll Be Fine":

Baby, We'll be Fine
All night I lay on my pillow and pray
For my boss to stop me in the hallway
Lay my head on his shoulder and say
Son, I've been hearing good things

I wake up without warning and go flying around the house
In my sauvignon fierce, freaking out
Take a forty-five minute shower and kiss the mirror
And say, look at me
Baby, we'll be fine
All we gotta do is be brave and be kind

I put on an argyle sweater and put on a smile
I don't know how to do this
I'm so sorry for everything

Baby, come over, I need entertaining
I had a stilted, pretending day
Lay me down and say something pretty
Lay me back down where I wanted to stay
Just say something perfect, something I can steal
Say, look at me
Baby, we'll be fine
All we've gotta do is be brave and be kind

I pull off your jeans, and you spill jack and coke in my collar
I melt like a witch and scream
I'm so sorry for everything

Also check "Karen", "All The Wine" and "City Middle".

No comments: