Monday, April 25, 2005

Once Upon A Time In Boston...

...with apologies to Robert Rodriguez' movie. I just couldn't resist. I'll tell you what I mean shortly.

My third week in Boston came to a close Sunday night. I didn't get to explore much over the weekend as it rained for almost two days. But, I did get to unpack most of my boxes and fix up the apartment a little. It looks more and more like a place to call home.

I did manage to get out Saturday evening though, continuing to explore the neighbourhoods around Boston. After walking around Brookline's Coolidge Corner, checking out restaurants and other stores, I ended up resting my weary feet at Peet's Coffee and Tea, for a good cup of cappuccino, a little reading, and some net surfing courtesy of free Wi-Fi.

Sunday afternoon was a nice, mild one which called for a run along the river, from Watertown to Cambridge and back, admiring the blooming trees and other lovely parts of nature. Early evening I ended up at Firenze Trattoria. The restaurant occupies a small basement, with an authentic ambiance, as well as authentic home-style Tuscan recipes, and a very affordable wine list. And here comes the "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" part. After checking the menu and the daily specials, I decided to order the risotto special (pancetta and artichoke hearts). You have to realize that risotto is one of the hardest dishes to be consistent when preparing, as it is not a dish for the foolhardy to make. In my endless quest for the perfect risotto, whenever I got to Italian restaurants I try to sample their version. Alas, and to the cook's benefit, although this was a tasty treat, it was not perfect. Unlike Agent Sands, I did not have to restore balance by shooting the cook.

Peace and Love

No comments: